The Food Magazine - Click to return to the home page

Making a complaint

If you see what you consider to be misleading advertising, marketing or labelling you can do something about it. Use these links to take action.

Advertising Standards Authority (ASA)

This is where we go to complain about print advertising which we think is misleading. The ASA was set up by the advertising industry as a self-regulatory body, and as such we do not always agree with its views or decisions. If you see an advert you don't like, you can complain about it to the ASA. If you tell us about a misleading advert for food or drink we may also be able to make a complaint to the ASA.


Ofcom (Office of Communications) is the regulator for the UK communications industries, with responsibilities across television, radio, telecommunications and wireless communications services. Ofcom will consider complaints regarding sponsorship issues, such as the credit given to any company sponsoring an item and commercial influence in programmes.

Trading Standards

Trading Standards Officers are responsible for ensuring that consumer products sold in the UK are safe and correctly labelled. Their remit includes food and drink. If you have a complaint about the safety or labelling of a product a Trading Standards Officer may be able to take action on your behalf. The site provides information for consumers and businesses, schools, advice and information centres, community organisations, local councils, business support agencies and trade associations.

ethical consumer logo

Ethical Consumer is the UK's leading alternative consumer organisation.

It researches the social and environmental records of companies. It provides:

  • unique buyers' guides which compare brands across 19 ethical criteria
  • direct access to a database containing the ethical records of over 50,000 worldwide companies
  • bespoke research into a company or product